Welcome to this interactive Equine blog

Here we hope to offer horse Tales, Equine sales of all kinds and tips on horse care and training.
What would you like to share or what horse items are you wanting to sell ? Simply post it !
Here is my first tip: Do you have a problum removing thoes nasty bot eggs in the fall ? Try a sponge saturated with rubbing alcohol. Scrub the eggs with soaked sponge . I do it several times . Eggs that don't come off will shrivel and If ingusted won't hatch.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Sugestions Please

I need to find a horse fly spray that is homegrown or organic .I'm alergic to all the commercial horse sprays even wipes something in them makes my eyes swell and burn . Any suggestions ?

7 comments:

Nandy said...

Mix 1/3 water + 1/3 vinegar + 1/3 dawn dish soap in a spray bottle. A friend who got me into horses recommended it and it seems to work pretty well.

Paso Fino Horse Gal said...

Thank you !

TashiaD said...

Springtime feed company (1-800-555-1212 Cockeysville, MD area) has garlic supplement for horses that you feed 2xday and the flies don't touch them (controls the eggs int eh manure also). It was weird the first summer to see them stand out in the pasture not swishing tails. My farrier was completely blown away. Of course your barn will smell like an Italian restaurant, but I love Italian! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

you can try this fly spray check out the web sight it tells you sbout the spray

http://www.horsehealthusa.com/details/Equisect-Fly-Repellent/145-2700.html

i know someone with a horse that breaks out to fly sprays this one dont bother there horse. also i have used a mixture of this it seems to work good and havent seen any horses break out to it so far.

1 part water
1 part pine-sol
1/4 part baby oil

Mikkii said...

We feed our 16 head of horses 2tbsp of garlic powder per day - we have no flies here on the farm. We get the garlic powder in bulk from Sams Club for $18 for 5lbs and it lasts us a month. Good Luck

Mikkii said...

We get garlic powder in 5lb canister at Sam's Club for $18 (tax exempt for the business) and every horse on the property gets 2 tbsp. per day in their grain (start them on it by the teaspoon) no flies what so ever here. We feed 16 horses and 5 lbs lasts us a month

Paso Fino Horse Gal said...

I tried Garlic Powder a few years ago and didn't seem to see any difference....I may not have used enough! I dont feed grain in the summer I wonder if I can sprinkle it on their alfalfa hmmm, it would fall to the bottom of the feeder I would guess.....